I’d say hands down my favourite veg would be eggplant.
With it’s meaty like texture you can do all most anything with it.
A birthday treat to myself was miso glazed eggplant. A dish I have never listed on our menus but one that has an amazing flavour.
Yes miso can be powerful but combined and used in the correct way, it’s a game changer.
- 1 large eggplant
- 80 g white miso paste (shiro miso)
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (rice wine)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
fried shallots, black and white sesame seeds, can be served with steamed rice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern in flesh of each eggplant half.
3. Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stirring continuously, simmer until all has emerged as a smooth paste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the miso sauce over the cut-side of the eggplants. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until light golden.
5. Scatter with fried shallots and sesame seeds and serve hot with steamed rice.
Related Tag: Catering Sunshine Coast